Sunday, August 30, 2009

Pennsylvania and Beatrix

Something (almost) finished gives me a feeling of achievement. I have to admit that I am very good at starting but not good at finishing. I try to set myself goals - finish X before you start Y - works sometimes but not always.

But I have finished the top of the Bullseye quilt - which is now ready to go to the quilter. I really like the idea of hand quilting, and have completed a couple of quilts, but time is limited and if I have the choice between making a new piece or quilting an old one - I will always choose the former. And also, my 13 year old DD is very impatient and wants it NOW! No photo of it today - sorry. I'll have to get the ladder out to do it and I wasn't up for it today.

I have also ordered 9.5 yards (yes that's right 9.5 yards) of red batik for the back of DNQTTQ. It's so big I need three drops - what should I do with the leftovers?

I joined the Civil War Bride group this week (hi Lizzie and crew). Haven't posted there yet though. I bought the starter pack at the last quilt show but that's all. I am waiting on the pattern and backing to come and then I'll be off and running. You can find the blog here. The completed blocks contributed so far are really beautiful. Check it out!

So while I'm waiting for that to get going, I have pulled out an old unfinished project to work on. I have appliqued most of the blocks but still have a bit of work to do. I just need to remember where I was up to. Here are some photos of the centre.














The quilt was originally called Pennsylvania applique, but later changed name to Poppies. I started it in a class at Primarily Patchwork many years ago, but stopped working on it when the class finished.


And also, let me show you this




It's the reason I started to be interested in blogs. It is Beatrix Potter's Quaker. I joined the SAL in December 2008 - the idea was that we started stitching on Jan 1 2009 and I guess to finish by the end of the year. Not sure I'll quite get there, but I'll get close. You can see some other versions here. They are very pretty.

I hope you have a creative week,

Cheers,

Deb

4 comments:

antique quilter said...

oh Deb those blocks are beautiful, looking forward to seeing more! Is it a reproduction of an antique quilt from Penn.?
Your cross stitch is just beautiful
I love the color red your using and the antique looking linen( ?) Just beautiful
Yes I chose which quilts get hand quilted and which go to a quilter, time and use of the quilt really matters to me
I bet your DD is going to love the bulls eye quilt.
I can't wait to see it either!
ok, I have to think about what DNQTTQ means!
Kathie

Janet said...

It's so nice to see your long term project, it looks fabulous, I hope you get to do some more on it. I want to get the BP sampler too. I've enjoyed the progress of them since I discovered the SAL recently.

Brenda said...

Hi Deb,
Thanks for the comments you left on my Beatrix, I am still really enjoying stitching on it. Yours looks lovely too.
This is my first visit to your blog and I laughed out loud at the sentence that said you can start things but have trouble finishing them. You could have been talking about me.
I really love your quilt blocks, looks like antique reproduction fabric, which I also love. I would also like to see your bulls eye quilt, I have the pattern and want to make one someday too.
Brenda

Miriam said...

I have just found your blog and I am a fairly new blogger too. Your blocks are wonderful and I love your cross stitch. I love the look of that red and green quilt in the photo in an earlier post. I also frequented primarily Patchwork when it was open. I am making the Morrell Quilt at the moment.

A Ball of Pink Fluff

My New Year's Eve cast on used this gorgeous yarn from la Bien Aimee. The yarn is Merino Singles and Mohair Silk, both in the co...