Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tradition with a Twist

About a year and a half ago, I found this picture of a beautiful old quilt and knew I had to make it.



I love red and green quilts and I thought this one wold be achievable in my lifetime. I took the photo along to my quilt group and they were all eager to join in the fun. One of the girls wasn't at the meeting, but we told her it was a simple applique piece - not too hard because the pieces were large. When she finally saw the picture she said - "I don't think Deb's quite telling the truth". Hence the quilt became known (affectionately) as the "Deb's not quite telling the truth quilt". The problem now was - how do I draw it? I have trouble with straight lines let alone curves! But with the help of the trusty photocopier and a plan printer I have access to at work - I managed to reproduce a pattern the same size as the finished quilt.

It's a large quilt - 90 x 104 inches. Merri (who named the quilt) was the first to finish. She has done hers in repro fabrics - red and brown and green - it just came back from the machine quilter and looks stunning. The other girls are in various stages of completion, working on it at the same time as some other projects, some decided not to start it just yet. I have just finished my top. We debated over whether or not to put the vine around the central medallion. I was going to and had it pinned on, but when I saw Merri's (which does not have the vine) I took it off because the quilter had done some beautiful designs in the space.

OK - so I'm going to show you the central medallion of mine. I have no idea how to photograph the whole thing - but I'll try to do it when it's quilted.



Hmmmmm....did you think it would be red and green on white? Well so did I! But when I was thinking about it I found this great background fabric (it's not photographing well - it's a grey/chocolate colour). At the same time, I found a picture of a Brazillian appliqued sofa which was plain colours on a plain background. Very graphic and stunning. So I thought I would try it. The fabrics I have used for applique are batiks and fossil ferns. I'm in two minds about the result. I really like the quilt I've made, but now I'm still hankering for a traditional red and green. Here's a shot of the corner



The big decision now is what will I do for the backing? I'm thinking a red batik. Can't wait to send it off to the quilter!

And for those of you who are interested in the granny progress.....



Hope you're having a great week......

Deb

3 comments:

Liz said...

Hmmmm, yes I was thinking red and green, but I quite like it. I so admire you for being able to go with totally changing traditional into contempory. Wish I was brave too......LOL.
Can't wait to see it quilted.
Lizzie
XXX

antique quilter said...

looks wonderful an amazing quilt.
ok, I hope you will share the one your friend made in reds and greens
oh my gosh I LOVE this quilt
I applaud you for making a pattern of this quilt must have been so challenging
I would love to make it too.
Kathie

Janet said...

Good for you, making it your own and putting a litle of yourself in it. Do you mind me asking about where the photograph is? It's a fabulous quilt and I paricularly love the love apples. When did your group start this?

A Ball of Pink Fluff

My New Year's Eve cast on used this gorgeous yarn from la Bien Aimee. The yarn is Merino Singles and Mohair Silk, both in the co...