Sunday, October 18, 2009

This was the week that was.

Good morning on this bright and sunny Sunday. If you live in Melbourne, I hope the rain has given you an extra excuse to stay indoors and get some sewing done! It's been so heavy here that at one point I thought about building an Ark. I'm quite happy for it now to rain only between the hours of 6pm and 7am.

Yesterday was our sewing meeting - always eagerly anticipated and this was no exception. My turn to host it this time - always makes me a little stressed. We had lots to show and tell (sorry no photos - we don't usually do photos) and didn't get to start sewing until getting on for 12 (we start at 10). After eating chocolate and raspberry brownies (not my best cooking effort - sorry girls) getting a caffeine hit and reviewing our latest works, we managed to get some sewing done. Lots of laughs and good stories. Brilliant!

I completed the last of the PA applique blocks this week. Here it is


and the last of those that I completed earlier.


I'm very happy with the way it's turning out. I have had many inquiries about this pattern and have been passing them all along to Di who is currently in the USA - but I hope she will make the pattern available again soon. In the meantime here is how the whole thing should look.


Not a great photo - it's the only one I have, clipped from an old magazine ad. I am waiting on the fabric to come in for the background triangles, they have some simple applique on them which shouldn't take too long. The other thing I need to do is the outside border of little triangles. This will be a weekend job. I usually only machine sew in the day and hand sew at night. So that means I need another project for the evenings. I have one - but you're going to have to wait until next time to see it.

Oh OK ....here's a sneak peek


On the agenda for this week I have the last of the GTASB blocks for this month. It is half cut out so I can start work on that. I would also like to start my first MM block this week. I have the fabrics chosen so I just need to draw the template. And I also need to put some time in on my BP cross stitch. That should keep me busy for this week since I have a few other commitments as well.

For those of you thinking about the CWB here is the background fabric which arrived this week. I'm very happy with it. It is a lovely colour and subtle tone on tone print.

You can get it from Threadbear if you love it! See the sidebar for links to the CWB blog and Threadbear.

Didn't have time for the garden today, since I went for a 21st birthday lunch for my niece Caitlin. Happy Birthday Catie! And thanks for a lovely afternoon Senka.

But in my garden looking to one side of my backyard you can see

we have done some work on this barren wasteland and it's starting to look quite pretty. If I swivel around to my left

yep - still a barren wasteland. But stay tuned for the after shot (coming in another month).

OK I'm off to sew. Hope you have a great week and spend some time with people or things that make you happy.

Cheers,

Deb

9 comments:

antique quilter said...

oh your new block looks great...hmmm another new project???
something must be in the air :)
glad you had a fun sewing day with your group.
Gardening I wish I had more talent...I love to look at gardens and love flowers but just not my calling!
Kathie

Anonymous said...

I have started that quilt a few years back, must get the blocks out and out them on my blog in the next few days.
I have always loved the quilt.

cheers
Christine

Cardygirl said...

Your blocks are lovely. All of that rain will be wonderful for the garden...it looks great!

Liz said...

Ahh, that applique is gorgeous Deb, love the colours. Glad that you have your background too, I'm looking forward to seeing some blocks with the same background as mine! Your iris and foxgloves look lovely, can't wait to see what you will do with the other half.
Lizzie
XXX

Juliann said...

I do hope your friend will publish that pattern one day. The blocks are really lovely and so unique.

Janet said...

That must be a good feeling to have got the last of the PA blocks done, It's great to see the setting, it's a lovely quilt. Gardening is hard work but at least the ground will be soft after all that rain.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Your blocks are so beautiful Deb, I haven't done any applique for weeks and I'm having withdrawals. Can't wait to see what's in store for your backyard! xo

Kathy said...

The PA Quilt Pattern, was it originally in a magazine, or in a pattern/book form? Does it go by another name?

Carrie P. said...

I just love those two blocks. You do fabulous applique.
Just thought I would check out your blog from another blog. Very nice work you do.
Have a Merry Christmas.

A Ball of Pink Fluff

My New Year's Eve cast on used this gorgeous yarn from la Bien Aimee. The yarn is Merino Singles and Mohair Silk, both in the co...