Saturday, August 2, 2014

A new start

Nothing like starting a new project!  How many times have I said that?  But still true, and especially so, since my new, NEW project, is an original reproduction.


I love red and green quilts, and this one in particular caught my eye.  No hints about the way it's going to look other than that it is a four block quilt.  I'm trying to use only my stash so fabrics will change as I run out of one and substitute another.

I haven't made much progress on anything lately I'm afraid.  It has been a very busy time with work and travel to conferences in Hong Kong and Vancouver.


I had a great view of Hong Kong harbour from my window........lots of construction going on. It has grown so much since I was there last, maybe 10 years ago.

You will be pleased to know (or maybe not!) that I now have a computer at home again.  This has been quite a saga so I won't bore you with the details. 

Last weekend was spent in absolute sewing heaven, when I attended a workshop with Marg Sampson George, wonderfully hosted by Liz.  It was just what I needed after spending quite some time subsisting on not much more than house chores and work chores.


This is a snippet  of Marg's "Going, going, green" which is absolutely glorious and the quilt that I am making.  Not enough to show you yet............sorry!

These two pictures are from an antique style quilt that Marg is doing.  Just beautiful.

 


Marg has such a unique way of seeing fabric, I learned a lot from the workshop......so nice to be taken out of your comfort zone.

An added bonus for the weekend was that I got to spend some talking to Jean from Linen and Raspberry.  I have eknown her for a long time, but it as just great to meet the real Jean.

Until next time,

Deb

7 comments:

Nyla said...

Love the block from your new project and will look forward to seeing it progress! Oh my, a class with Marg Sampson George, I would love to do that, I'm sure it was inspiring! Hope work and travel settles down and you can enjoy stitching!

Nyla said...

Oh, also I love Jean's work, from Linen and Raspberry, I miss her blog posts. So lovely that you got to meet and chat!

Margaret said...

It's always such a treat to read your posts! Love your new project, and am dying to see the other one too! I LOVE Marg Sampson George!!!! Love hexies! So cool that you got to meet Jean in person. I follow her on IG and think she's wonderful too! All you Aussie ladies are so talented!

Debbie said...

I love your new applique block. It is a pattern or are you copying a quilt you've seen? I am curious. I saw a quilt on a book cover and there are a couple of blocks I would love to do. I haven't gotten so far as to draw them out yet. Share your process.

Lovely Rory Beca Sevona Maxi Gown said...

Not a bad start. But a lot of efforts are required If you want to become an expert quilter.

Karen said...

Your applique block is wonderful. I assume you mean that you have seen a similar block in an antique quilt.

Cardygirl said...

Wow, I didn't know you were with Jean and lizzie, glad you had fun! Your quilt will be lovely!