Saturday, February 2, 2013

January Part 2: Partying

I'm sure I'm not the only mother (far from from it) who at some point has wondered, "How on earth did this little one

This onesie is so comfie, I hope they keep it for when I'm a big boy.

become this big one?"

Hey Ma, where is my favourite blue onesie?
 
The days and years slip by as a collection of (mostly) ordinary days, with some extraordinary moments thrown in. The trials and tribulations of babyhood (we had many), childhood (pretty easy) and teenage years (not too bad, with some notable exceptions) seem quite distant and my much adored baby has become my still much adored adult son.


Oh yes, let's not forget his much adored sister.

He'll never guess where I hid his onesie!

To be honest, I'm not much of a party person but DS wanted a party and he wanted it at home. Well how could I refuse? He was turning 21!

So the early part of January was concerned with organising a party, cooking, cleaning and general fretting.  In the end, it went off without a hitch.  No drunks, no gatecrashers, no neighbour complaints, no problem.

I am very happy that DD has really great friends who are pretty chill (and party so often, it isn't really a novelty) so that even though the last of his buds were sent home at around 5am, it was all pretty easy and the damage was minimal......one broken glass and an "empties" strewn backyard.


 Less than 24 hours later, we would be flying to Bali.

In the meantime, I prepared some piecing to take on holiday (more on that later).  I find that the combination of my poorish eyesight and dull lighting in hotel rooms, means that applique is best avoided.  And another couple of Caswell blocks were completed.


This one is one of my favourites in the quilt.


Some of the blocks are simple - so quick to sew - but still need some embroidery to complete.


Have a great weekend,

Deb

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Ah yes, I've had that feeling many times, especially recently. Where did these big kids -- no longer kids -- come from? lol! Happy belated birthday to your son! The big 21! I loved seeing the pics. Glad the party went well. Love your Caswell blocks -- gorgeous!

Kim said...

They grow so fast! Glad to hear the party went off without a hitch! Good kids! Your blocks are beautiful, Deb! Can't wait to hear about your trip to Bali!

Audrey--Quilty Folk said...

Love your blocks! I agree, childhood seems to be a blink, blink situation and suddenly you're looking at an adult.:)

antique quilter said...

bet your glad thats behind you , but not the trip! an amazing trip I bet. Ok your blocks are so beautiful, love the fabrics and that your using different backgrounds. look forward to seeing more.
Kathie

Marjorie said...

Absolutely loving the blocks.

Taryn said...

When I look at my 6'4" son I am hard pressed to imagine that once once such a sweet little baby. But, that's their trick - it's how they snag us forever. Congratulations on getting yours to 21 and surviving the party. Enjoy Bali. I know what you mean about that dreadful hotel lighting.

A Ball of Pink Fluff

My New Year's Eve cast on used this gorgeous yarn from la Bien Aimee. The yarn is Merino Singles and Mohair Silk, both in the co...